WELCOME!
If you are new to my blog, you may want to start by reading FROM THE BEGINNING. (located on the tabs below)

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A visit to always remember



Maria, last weekend your Papa and I went down to help my aunts and uncle landscape my grandparents front yard. While there I knew it would a perfect time to catch some of the moments with your great granparents - as they are in their 90's and time is more precious now than it has ever been. I want you to always remember this time. I hope these pictures capture how beautiful this moment was. Grandma and Grandpa Zuniga have always been so special to me. And I hope that when you get older and see this pictures you will cherish these moments with them, like I did, living in the moment while they were holding you.

Grandma has alzheimer's now, but she doesn't let it define her. She is still as strong and witty as she has ever been. When we arrived to their house and I held you she couldn't believe that you were mine. She kept asking, "who's baby is that?" and I kept replying "she is my baby." In her mind I think she kept seeing me as the curly haired little girl that would follow her around the house asking for more of her homemade tortillas. She couldn't believe that I was 26. But I thanked Jesus in those moments, because I felt so blessed that she knew who I was. After all, I am her in almost every way from attitude, personality, hair to our names - Lucia.
She loved you when she saw you Maria. She kept an eye out for you wherever we went that day. She kept telling me, "Put socks on that baby!" "Put a hat on that baby, or she'll get colic!" Well, guess what you are a little colic. As I held you in my arms and she still questioned that you were mine she looked at me in total dismay saying, "you know nothin about babies, lucia!" I couldn't believe it! I laughed and laughed! But it is true... I am still learning Maria. Your great-grandmother has had 15 children and if anyone knows about mothering, it would be her. You, Nana and I are blessed to have such a matriarch to follow. I desire you to have her playful spirit, her strength and beauty. However if there is one thing I don't desire you to pick up is calling me "big momma" like she did all day! :)... Once she found out you were almost 10 lbs, she kept saying, " you are big momma!" You were blessed to have this time.

Grandpa Zuniga... How I love! He has always been a quiet man and a hard worker. I see so many characteristics that in Grandpa that I cherish in your Papa too. They work hard with their hands, they are men of little words but many actions, and they are men of great faith. As your great grandpa held you he recalled how he had held so many babies through the years and would hold one in his arms while bouncing another on his legs. The way he looked at you and sang to you Maria, was so beautiful. I was so proud to call him my grandfather in that moment. And Grandpa was so proud that I married such a wonderful man who could landscape his yard and have a beer with him. My heart was so full to hear that he approved of your Papa.
You and Auntie Lucy
I hope that you will always cherrish this moment I captured of you in their arms. I love you.

4 comments:

  1. Luci,
    I was just thinking the other day that I would give anything to go and be with them for a day. I feel like I got a little visit with this post. Mema cracks me up! I miss them dearly.
    What a wonderful memory to give your daughter! And the landscaping is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, love this post! You are going to cherish these moments and pics forever. I'd do anything to have a day with Mema, Pepa and my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect. Love u! The paces.:-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of you and your family, Luci. The landscaping is not too bad either! Treasure the time spent with your family and be sure to take lots and lots more pictures. I especially love the "luscious" one....so precious. Take good care and maybe one day soon we can actually meet baby Maria in person!
    Your not-so-anonymous friend,
    Mary Considine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing me and letting me know what you think!