WELCOME!
If you are new to my blog, you may want to start by reading FROM THE BEGINNING. (located on the tabs below)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Beautiful Maria!


It's hard to believe that one week ago, I finally got to hold Maria in my hands! Here is the story...

Mama and Papa matching bracelets! :)

Tuesday at 8:30 in the morning, Chris and I drove into the hospital in our little van, ready and very anxious to receive Maria into our arms. At 39 weeks pregnant, I prayed and prayed that Maria would come naturally on her own. I desperately sought to have the birth experience that many women get to have. This is a topic all in it's own. However, I did put this in God's hands that if Maria didn't come by her due date we would go with the repeat ceserean. After an ultrasound that said she weighed approximately 8 lbs and 15 ozs we new that the weight of her on my scar would be much to dangerous to attempt a natural birth. So off to the operating room.

We checked in, got in the hospital gown, received an iv, answered a bunch of questions, watched a mother get rolled back into the delivery room and then return with a little baby in her hands and then we watched the clock awaiting our turn - tick tock tick tock....
Finally I was rolled back to the delivery room alone. I kissed Chris goodbye for a temporary moment as he got dressed in his scrubs and as they finished prepping me in the O.R. with an epidural and probably a million other things... However my focus was on looking out the window and saying as many "Hail Mary's" as I could. I prayed for our Doctor's, the nurses, myself and of course that Maria would come in perfect health.
Eventually after a few seemingly long minutes Chris joined my by my side as we were ready to see baby Maria. All our confidence was in Dr. Coppage that the delivery would go smooth. Of course with Dr. Coppage as our doctor we were completely reassured!

I held a rosary in my hand continued to pray my "Hail Mary's". I thought about Hope and Grace being their with Chris and I and how they must be watching all of this from heaven. I was scared - scared of the immensity of the moment. I was eagerly awaiting for someone to say "look". And then, they told Chris to stand up! "She's Here!" After Chris caught a quick picture, I just looked at his reaction and it was "WoW!" He was speechless. Then they put her up to the blue sheet so I could see her ... "LOVE" I was melted.
They took her over to get quickly cleaned up, and weighed. I heard gasps. "Luci, guess how much she weighs". I thought maybe 9lbs... "9lbs 7ozs" My immediate thought, "WHOA!"

They finally put Maria in my arms, and now I was the one rolling down the halls with my baby. "My baby. My baby" ((TEARS)) I just get to hold my baby. I held her in the same embrace that I held Hope and Grace. I LONGED for this moment. This precious life on my chest ready to kiss her forehead and cheeks. This moment was just as real and special as it was with my girls. "Thank you, Jesus!"

From that moment on, it was all a blur. It was Me, Chris and our little Maria. I couldn't stop looking at her, smelling her sweet baby smell, kissing the softest cheeks and that nook between her neck and her shoulders. UGH... love that nook!


I was amazed at her features. Her hair - so black. Her nostrils - seemed flared :) lol. Her sweet mouth, reminded me so much of Hope and Grace... same chins. Her LONG hands and feet. I couldn't believe how big they were! I noticed her breath on chest and how sweet it flowed in and out of her. And when she opened her eyes, we saw each other for the first time. Again it reminded me of how Grace opened her eyes wide at me, and we met - Mother and daughter.

I recall a small moment, holding Maria and looking at my husband and just thanking him. He probably didn't realized just how much I really meant it, but it was from so deep in my heart that I thanked him for being such a wonderful husband and an amazing father willing to always heed to God's will for the children that He brings into our lives. If he doesn't know by now, I am so in love with him. I am so in love that he loves all his girls - Hope, Grace and Maria.

Our families, shortly joined us and we shared in our joy. Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles joined in the celebration that day to love this beautiful Maria. I especially am grateful for Melanie for being at the hospital for over 8 hours to capture this moment with her camera as she did for Hope and Grace. With her pictures we are able to share with family friends who aren't able to be at those first moments of life, but are able to live them with us through her amazing photographs. (Thanks MeL! WE LoVe YoU!)


And sooo here I am with Maria in arm a week later. I am a hot mess in love with this baby girl. I stressed the first few days about everything. I stressed the most about nursing... What a process of PATIENCE... but eventually with lots of love and support from my family and friends, we are nursing great. She is what I like to call "milk drunk" every few hours. And my favorite new thing is what I call giving her my milk shakes... lol... It's when Chris is making me laugh so hard while i am nursing, and I can't stop laughing she shakes in my arms. Those are her milk shakes. They are often uncontrollable, but hysterical when it happens. Small moments like these I treasure.

We spend all our days in complete AWE of this miracle. And I am so happy to share her with you! FINALLY!
Her First Smile in Papa's arms -
How it should be.








8 comments:

  1. I cannot get over how ADORABLE she is! I mean seriously?! I want to squeeze her! Thanks for sharing this with us....way out here in Kansas where we don't hear any news;)

    Lots of love to sweet baby Maria and fam!
    <3
    Gabe, Anna, and Gaber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your story for a long time and I'm so thrilled for you and your family. Enjoy your new sweet blessing from God <3
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously Luci - she is breathtakingly beautiful!! I mean really really. I wish I could come over there and hold her. (i love her little flared nostrils...hahaha)

    So happy for you!

    love, cousin mawia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of the nook. That place is a little slice of heaven, isn't it? I give zerberts there often. Maria will get one from Auntie very soon.

    And yes, Chris is an amazing man...well, besides the fact that he won't even let you have O.N.E beer. Sheesh- he runs a tight ship. When I get in town we can sneek off for some vino!

    OK and finally- I was laughing so hard about the "milk shakes" that I gave Christian one as I was reading your blog and nursing. Tooooooo fun-eeeeeeeee. You two are the biggest geeks.

    You are doing an amazing job, Lu. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an awesome writer Luci, everything you feel is so...feelable (I know that's not a word) You are such a wonderful mommy and wife and your baby is oh so adorable!! Congrats to you both

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris and Luci,
    Wow! What a incredible testament of faith and love. Maria is one lucky girl to have you both as her parents. She is truly beautiful and you are truly blessed. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story with all of us.
    love,
    Mary Considine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Luci,
    I was so thrilled to hear about Maria's birth from Anna and Maria. I've read your blog since Hope and Grace's beautiful story graced us all. I am so happy for you to be holding this new little one. Enjoy every ounce of her!!!! God Bless You.
    Lindsay Boever
    (I am Maria's sister-in-law :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heart the klares.<3
    as always, MY PLEASURE!!<3 aunt mel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing me and letting me know what you think!